Located 25kms from Melbourne’s central business district, the Precinct boundaries comprise the local government areas of Greater Dandenong, Kingston, Knox and Monash City.
The Precinct is home to 40% of Victoria’s manufacturing activities and over 56,000 registered businesses. Industry sectors encompass manufacturing, retail, property and business services (including scientific and engineering services).
The region is focussed on the high end and growth sectors, such as chemicals, polymers, machinery and equipment, applications in transport, health, construction and the environment.
The South East Melbourne Innovation Precinct has enormous untapped potential and considerable strengths to compete internationally.
Building on existing strengths of the region, the SEMIP Strategic Plan provides potential for significant long term job creation for the Victorian and Australian economy:
- Australian Synchrotron - Australia's newest and brightest major national research facility
- Monash University - Australia's largest university, with over 26,000 students located in the SEMIP region. Monash University is home to the Food Innovation Centre and Cave
- CSIRO's largest Research and Development site - focusing on materials science, engineering, medical and health technologies
- Southern Health - head office of Victoria's largest health network
- Melbourne Centre for Nanofabrication - state of the art instrumentation for nano and micro scale fabrication
- Flagship companies - from motor vehicle design to vaccines, from telecommunications to paint including: ABB, Advanced Polymer Technology, Amcor, Aortech, Biota, BMW, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Ceramic Fuel Cells, Daimler, Davey Water Products, Dulux, EcoWise, Ego Pharmaceutical, Fontera, Glaxo Smith Kline, Hospira, IDT Pharmaceutical, Invetech, Leica, Lockheed Martin, Mayne Pharma, Mazda, MiniFAB, Marand Precision Engineering, NCR, NEC, Nestlé, Nintendo, Nissan, RP Scherer, Recaldent, Robert Bosch, SGE, Shimadzu, Siemens, Sigma, Steritech, STC, Telstra, Toshiba, Toyota, Universal Biosensors, Varian, VCAMM and Viridian
The SEMIP region is the ideal site for national and international companies to establish a presence:
- quality business and industrial precincts
- well serviced by progressive local councils
- multi-cultural, educated and skilled workforce
- quality residential and recreational infrastructure
- easy to navigate transport grid
SEMIP activities will provide businesses access to cutting edge research; ongoing access to information, people and opportunities; open paths to markets and increased international credibility.