Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Recovery
We're here to help your business adapt and build resilience through these challenging times. It is our priority to support the recovery of our community and local economy, by providing a range of relief measures for businesses, and support initatives that stimulate local industry.
In Council's 2020-21 Budget, we committed $465,000 in business grants and support programs, as part of the Community and Business Support Package which provided a total of $2 million funding. Council’s business grants and support programs (listed below) will be rolled out from August 2020, more information will be available soon.
On this webpage, you’ll find the latest information about the business support programs and grants from Knox Council, State and Federal Government.
We recommend that you subscribe to our KnoxBiz eBulletin to stay updated.
For community groups and not-for-profit associations, please see www.knox.vic.gov.au/grants, or speak to our Community Partnerships team on 9298 8000.
Knox Council Mentoring and Commercial advice
Businesses are facing complex challenges in this pandemic, this includes legal, tax, financial and payroll. If these issues aren’t addressed quickly it can increase the financial and legal impact on your business. This initiative offers free expert advice from industry professionals to help you work through these complicated issues and information quicker, in order to manage the impacts of COVID-19. The advisors can also facilitate one-on-one mentoring sessions to help businesses prepare a tailored plan to recover from the impacts of COVID-19.
Applications Open Now.
Knox Council Business Support Grants
There are several grants available to support businesses most impacted by COVID-19 to innovate, and adapt to new ways of doing business.
These grants are open for application now. Applications close at 5pm on Monday 28 September.
Knox eCommerce Grant
This grant will support existing businesses in Knox build their online eCommerce presence and capability.
Projects that may be funded by this grant include:
- Website development or redevelopment with eCommerce functionality
- Online shopping or eCommerce platform development external to the website
- Social media and other online marketing strategy or delivery and
- Capability development and/or training for staff to use and implement online activities
Projects that will not be funded by this grant include:
- Ongoing costs such as web and email hosting, or staff costs
- Purchase of IT equipment such as computers, tablets or point of sale equipment and
- Purchase or subscription costs for software or applications
Manufacturing and Supply Chain Transition Grant
This grant will support existing manufacturing businesses in Knox transition their manufacturing capabilities to respond to medical, health and other supply chain needs that have arisen due to COVID-19.
Projects that may be funded by this grant include:
- Capital/equipment to facilitate meeting health, medical and other demonstrated supply chain opportunities
- Obtaining expertise/specialist advice to oversee process improvements, partnership arrangements or compliance requirements
- Accessing local research/testing that will support businesses to pivot to new opportunities and
- Obtaining support/advice to assist local firms that have COVID-19 export and import replacement opportunities
Creative and Cultural Sector Grant
Two streams will be available through this grant to support the creative and cultural sectors in Knox.
- Stream 1 - Creative Industry Facilitation Grant
Projects funded through this grant include:
- online creative training and development e.g. seminars, classes and social interaction
- innovating marketing and communication activities
- development of creative professional partnerships and networks across new platforms.
- Stream 2 - Placemaking and Liveable Communities Grant
Activities funded through this grant include:
- pop-up activations
- community art projects
- events and performances in Knox activity centres
- partnerships between artists and traders to improve visual merchandising, rejuvenation of shopfronts, activity centre beautification or marketing.
*Note: These future activities are planned for when restrictions are lifted and it is safe for the community to attend public events and gatherings.
Federal and State Government Support
The Victorian Government is investing $3 billion to help businesses impacted by ongoing restrictions and prepare for COVID Normal business.
The package includes the following key programs.
- Business Support Fund Round 3
- Business Resilience Package
- Commercial tenancy relief scheme
- Payroll Tax Refund
- Liquor Licence fees waived
- Land tax deferral
- Working for Victoria Fund
- Fast tracking outstanding supplier Invoices
- Rent relief for tenants in government buildings
This Economic Survival Package fact sheet provides further information about the Victorian Government’s Economic Survival Package.
Businesses needing guidance on dealing with the coronavirus can also check the Business Victoria website business.vic.gov.au or call the Business Victoria hotline 13 22 15.
The Federal Government has also announced its economic response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The support for business includes:
- JobKeeper payment for sole traders and employers and employees
- Boosting cash flow for employers
- Temporary relief for financially distressed businesses
- Increasing the Instant Asset Write-off
- Backing business investment
- Supporting apprentices and trainees
Visit our COVID-19 Advice and Updates page for information and support to help your workplace plan and respond to coronavirus COVID-19.