Small Business Ventilation Program
Funding for public-facing small businesses to purchase equipment and upgrades to improve ventilation and reduce the spread of COVID-19 and boost customer confidence.
Good ventilation is important because COVID-19 is airborne and primarily spread between people breathing in very small droplets or aerosols containing the virus. The risk of aerosol transmission is higher in a poorly ventilated space because fine aerosol spray from an infected person can remain circulating, linger and spread more easily.
How the funding may be used
Examples of eligible expenditure include:
- works to the building to maximise ventilation, for example fixing windows to ensure they open or adding additional windows or doors to create greater air flow
- purchase and installation of spare parts to ensure the existing ventilation system operates effectively
- repairs, servicing or cleaning of an existing heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system or air conditioning unit to improve air flow
- purchasing an air purifier using a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter for the premises
- inspection by a qualified professional service provider for the purpose of a ventilation audit, HVAC health check or assistance with items identified in the self-assessment ventilation guidance.
- equipment and works that improve air ventilation and/or purification for the installation, upgrade, maintenance and repair of building infrastructure and ventilation systems
- direct costs to deliver the ventilation project such as labour, regulatory approvals or cost of building modification directly related to and required to accommodate the ventilation project proposal.